When buying a new mattress, you will come across many different terms and complicated phrases which may leave you wondering exactly what they mean, and how they will help you in your quest for the best mattress and a good night’s sleep.
Read below for an explanation of what is meant by Reflex Foam and why it is something you should be looking for when buying a mattress.
What is a Reflex Foam Mattress?
A Reflex Foam Mattress is a mattress which features a layer made up of high-density polyurethane foam providing an elevated level of support and firmness. Reflex foam contains little air bubbles which adapt when put under weight but bounce back to original shape once pressure is released.
Reflex foam is both strong and adaptable, making it an important and beneficial element for a mattress and one you should be considering when deciding to buy a mattress.
What is the difference between Reflex Foam and Memory Foam Mattress?
The main difference to be found in Reflex Foam and Memory Foam is the reaction to pressure applied by your body weight. Both foams will adapt to your body shape when you lay down with different effects.
Memory Foam will mould to your body and provide a cushioning to your body, whereas Reflex Foam will be providing a supportive counter-pressure as it tries to regain its shape.
What are the benefits of a Reflex Foam Mattress?
Whilst firm, Reflex foam is also flexible and adaptable to your body shape, providing great support for spinal alignment and quickly regains its original shape when not in use. It is for this reason that it is often present in orthopaedic mattresses.
Offering many of the benefits of memory foam, Reflex Foam is an affordable option for mattress shoppers looking for quality and support at more attainable price than memory foam counterparts.
Other benefits include:
- Provides heavier sleepers an ultra-firm sleeping option, providing support for body weight without the mattress becoming misshapen.
- The high-density foam facilitates body weight support and helps to ensure the mattress is durable and long-lasting (please note it is recommended by experts that you change mattresses every seven years).
- Reflex Foam is resistant to dust mites, making it a suitable choice for those will allergies.
- Beneficial to those with back or neck pains, as your body weight will be spread out evenly pressure points will be reduced.
Is Reflex Foam Mattress a good choice?
The Reflex Foam Mattress may be a desirable choice for you when buying a mattress if you:
- Need orthopaedic support. The firmness in Reflex Foam provides an elevated level of support against your body weight and may relieve sore pressure points. For this reason, it is often used in orthopaedic mattresses. If in doubt you should consult a mattress consultant or medical expert to see if this is the right choice for you.
- Have a heaver or larger frame. The high-density of reflex foam can provide a higher level of support and will bounce back to into shape quicker than other materials.
- Have allergies or asthma. The polyurethane in reflex foam mattresses is hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites.
- Suffer from back or neck pain. The high-level of support the mattress affords should alleviate pressure and support back alignment.
What is the Best Reflex Foam Mattress?
CoolMax mattresses by Memory Foam Warehouse combine Reflex Memory Foam bases with innovative Memory Foam temperature control technology to ensure you can enjoy a cool, comfortable night while fully supported and aligned.
Making use of memory foam upper layers, CoolMax memory foam mattresses feature breathable fabrics which help to ensure you remain cool all night long and do not have your sleep interrupted by waking up feeling hot and uncomfortable.
Covered in luxury quilting, CoolMax mattresses are hypoallergenic and anti-bacterial, with the option to remove and wash the cover to ensure your bed remains clean and hygienic.
CoolMax Classic Memory Foam Mattress
Above you can see the CoolMax Classic Memory Foam Mattress, which offers firm support and has 3cm of memory foam and 12cm of reflex foam. The double size is priced at £499.99.
2. Coolmax Deluxe 1000 Pocket Sprung Memory Foam Mattress
For those who like sleeping on a pocket sprung mattress, the Coolmax Deluxe 1000 Pocket Sprung Memory Foam Mattress is a great option to consider. It is 20cm deep and offers medium soft support.
Inside there is 5cm of memory foam, 2.5cm of reflex foam, 10cm pocket springs (a total of 1,000), and on the base there is again 2.5cm of reflex foam. It is priced at £579.99 for a double size, but when on sale it can go as low as £289.99.
CoolMax mattresses by Memory Foam Warehouse are a British manufacturer who sell their mattresses at factory direct prices, so are a good affordable option and feature either a 5 year guarantee.
Tip: If you’re looking for an all memory foam mattress, then check out the Nectar Memory Foam Mattress, which is 25cm deep, relieves pressure and comes with 365 night trial.
Does Reflex Foam Smell?
If you have purchased a memory foam or reflex foam mattress before, you may be familiar with a slight smell detectable in your new purchase. Your mattress will have been subject to fire-retardant treatment, and you may detect this smell when you remove the airtight packaging.
However, you should expect this smell to disappear within a week. And you can help this process along by providing good ventilation in your bedroom by leaving windows and doors open.
Prices mentioned above are accurate as of April 1, 2022.