Vispring Mattress Reviews
Vispring mattresses may come with a high price tag, however the company has over 120 years experience in handcrafting mattresses in the UK.
Vispring mattresses use only natural materials, such as British wool, cotton, and horsehair. All of them have a layer of pocket springs, which provide advanced comfort and body support.
All Vispring mattresses come with 30 year guarantee, this means that with proper care they will last for many years and even decades. On the other hand, Tempur mattresses come with 10 year guarantee.
How are Vispring mattresses made?
Vispring mattresses are handmade in the UK, by specialist technicians rather than on a production line, so it can take hours just to create one mattress.
The mattresses are usually made of materials such as silk, cotton, bamboo, horsehair, and 100% Platinum Certified British fleece wool. These materials are used to create a cool, comfortable surface for a good night’s sleep.
Each Vispring mattress has between 1,250-2,800 steel pocket springs inside. The springs distribute weight evenly and contour to a person’s unique body type and shape. This ensures a person’s spine is naturally aligned and well supported.
Top 6 Vispring Mattresses
Below is a list of the top 6 most popular Vispring mattresses. You can compare them by materials used inside, number of pocket springs and price.
1. Vispring Elite Mattress
The Vispring Elite Pocket Sprung Mattress is 21cm deep and has wool and cotton inside.
- The top and bottom layer feature bonded Platinum Certified British fleece wood and cotton. These natural materials are designed to whisk away moisture and provide fresher and cooler sleep. The top layer has 1800 gsm (or Grams per square metre) of British fleece wool and cotton, while the bottom layer has 1350 gsm.
- In the middle, there is a layer of 1,254 pocket springs (in the king size), which are made from steel and are nested in a calico pocket.
Price: from £1,010 (reg. £1,265)
2. Vispring Traditional Bedstead Mattress
The Vispring Bedstead Traditional Mattress is 21cm deep and has British wool and cotton. It has a similar price and features as the Vispring Elite. However, there is a wool spring protector pad on the top and bottom of the spring layer for extra comfort.
- Inside there is a layer of 100% platinum certified British fleece wool and cotton. Wool is known to have hypo-allergenic properties and is a natural insulator, which provides coolness in the summer and warmth in the winter.
- In the middle there is layer of 1,254 steel pocket springs. These hand nested pocket springs are enclosed in natural cotton calico pocket. They provide breathability and support your weight evenly, ensuring complete relaxation.
Price: from £1,030 (reg. £1,290)
3. Vispring Baronet Superb Mattress
The Vispring Baronet Superb Mattress is 21cm deep and has wool, cotton and horsehair.
- Here you have a layer of British fleece wool and cotton (2200 gsm), as well as a layer of horsehair 900gsm (or Grams per square metre). These natural materials are durable and comfortable. They have natural cooling properties and wick away moisture during the summer months.
- In the middle there are 1,326 vanadium steel springs (in king size), which have their own individual calico pockets.
Price: from £1,380 (reg. £1,725)
4. Vispring Devonshire Mattress
The Vispring Devonshire Mattress is 21cm deep and has British and Devonshire wool.
- Inside there is British fleece wool (300gsm), then hand-teased Platinum Certified Devonshire fleece wool (1,700gsm). Overlaid with of British fleece wool (300gsm). The wool creates a cool and comfortable mattress.
- In the middle there is a layer of 1,326 luxury pocket springs (in the king size). They support your body and provide a comfortable sleep surface.
Price: from £1,695 (reg. £2,120)
5. Vispring Herald Superb Mattress
The Vispring Herald Superb Mattress is 21cm deep and has wool, cotton and horsehair.
- Inside the top and bottom layer there is bonded Platinum Certfied British fleece wool, cotton, and horsehair. Horsehair in a mattress is considered a luxury natural filling, which is durable, comfortable and regulates temperature very well.
- In the middle there are 1,476 vanadium steel springs (in the king size), which provide exceptional support. The springs are hand nested in their own individual calico pockets.
Price: from £1,975 (reg. £2,470)
6. Vispring Regal Superb Mattress
The Vispring Regal Superb Mattress is 23cm deep and has Shetland and British wool, cotton, and horsehair.
- There is bonded British fleece wool and cotton (1,000gsm), then long-stranded horsetail blended with British fleece wool (1,200gsm). Overlaid with a layer of blended real Shetland Isle fleece wool and cotton (900gsm).
- In the middle there are 1,720 luxury pocket springs, which provide exceptional support and pressure relief.
Price: from £3,240 (reg. £4,050)
Which tension level to choose?
There are four different spring tensions you can choose from: soft, medium, firm and extra firm. The right tension depends on the weight of the person:
- Soft: up to 11 stone (70kg)
- Medium: 11-16 stone (70-102kg)
- Firm: 16-20 stone (102kg -127kg)
- Extra Firm: is above 20 stone (127kg)
If you and your partner wish to sleep on different tensions, you can order split combination tensions or Zip & Link options for King Sized mattresses or larger.
How to choose a Vispring Mattress?
There are several different features of Vispring mattresses:
- Starting with the sizes, which range from single to super king-size and even emperor size.
- Depending on the mattress, there are 4 tensions levels you can choose from: soft, medium, firm and extra firm. The idea is to allow customers to find the tension that works for them.
- There is also the option to purchase a zip and link mattress, with different tension level on each side.
- Next, you should check how many pocket springs there are inside the mattress. The greater the number of pocket springs, the more comfort and support you’ll feel on the sleep surface. For example, the Vispring Elite has 1,254 springs inside the king size, while the Vispring Herald has 1,476.
- Finally, an important feature to check is what mattress fillings there are inside and what is their gsm (or Grams per square metre). All have a layer of British fleece wool and cotton, while some also have a layer of horsehair. Horsehair is considered a luxurious natural filling in the mattress industry. It’s also more expensive and very few companies use it.
Shopping Tip: Before you make your final decision on which mattress is best for you, you can also check out our review of the Flaxby natural mattress collection from Dreams. Each Flaxby mattress uses natural cotton, wool and hemp and is priced at around £1,199-£1,699 for a double size.
Today, Vispring continues to handcraft mattresses that allow customers to get a night of restful sleep.
Taking Care of Your New Vispring Mattress:
When you first get your new Vispring Mattress, make sure you remove all packaging and leave it to air for a few hours hours. This will freshen and remove any aroma from storage. Plus, this will help the pocket springs settle into their correct position. Make sure you also rotate your mattress a few times per year.
This will ensure that the fillings settle evenly, as you sleep on your mattress throughout the years. There are convenient handles on the sides of the Vispring mattress, which allow you to rotate it. Please keep in mind that the mattress is heavy and you should rotate it with the help of another person. You should rotate your mattress clock or counterclockwise at least four times a year.
All Vispring mattresses come with 30 year guarantee, they are handcrafted using high quality materials which are made to last and stand the test of time.
Did You Know? In 2012 Vispring was given the Queen’s Award for Enterprise, which honors businesses that have excelled in the fields of international trade, innovation or sustainable development.
Shopping Tip: Vispring mattresses do not come with a home trial period. Alternatively, you can check out our list of mattresses with up to 365 night sleep trials, that come with a home trial and free return policy.
Vispring Mattress Reviews:
Looking at the Vispring customer reviews from Trustpilot, the company has a 3.8/5 star rating from over 425 reviews. More than half have given an excellent 5 star rating, however there are about 25% of customers who have given a 1 star poor rating. Overall, many are happy with the quality and comfort of their new bed, and find it to be a good investment.
- Many customers have said that their new mattress is very comfortable, and that they are getting a great night sleep.
- They also like the fact that it’s made of 100% natural materials, and that there is no foam inside.
- Several customers have said that this is the second Vispring mattress they are ordering, and that they’ve been very happy with their old one and have used it for many years but decided to get a new one.
- Several customers had an issue with the firmness of the mattress, saying that it was firmer than expected. This is something to keep in mind when you’re deciding if a soft, medium, firm or extra firm tension level is right for you.
- Another point of concern for some customers, is that their mattress started to sag or dip in the middle. According to Vispring, because their mattresses are made of only natural fillings, there might be a slight dip due to the fillings settling in. Make sure you rotate your mattress regularly to avoid any such issues.
- Another complaint with some customers has been a smell (due to the natural materials, especially horsehair) that won’t air out after a few weeks of sleeping on the bed. One customer has said that they have sprinkled bicarbonate of soda on top, but that hasn’t helped much.
Make sure you read all reviews here.
Disclosure – top10mattressinabox.co.uk independently reviews and ranks products, by thoroughly researching them. We may receive a commission when a purchase is made through our links, at no cost to our readers. Prices and ratings mentioned above are accurate as of July 17, 2023.