When you have a smaller home, condo, or apartment, it’s important to make the most of your space. That means prioritising furniture that is both functional and compact.
Shorty beds are excellent for this kind of living space because they take up less floor space than a standard single size bed frame. They can be used by kids and adults, as long as their height is shorter than approximately 5’3” or 160 cm.
For many people, shorty beds may be just what they’re looking for if they live in a tiny space or want less furniture. In this guide we’ll look at the pros and cons and see if they are the right kind of bed for you.
What Size Is a Shorty Bed?
A short single bed usually has a width of around 2’6″ and a length of around 5′ 3-9″. In comparison, a UK single size bed measures 3′ wide by 6′ 3″ long (or 90cm x 190cm).
Below you can see the exact size of a cot bed, shorty bed, small single and single, so you can get an idea of how they compare next to each other. Next up after a single size bed is a small double bed, which can sleep two people.
The exact size of the shorty bed will vary depending on the manufacturer. Also, some companies make shorty double and king size beds, that have the same width as standard double and king size beds, but are shorter.
Tiny Beds Big Benefits:
There are many advantages to using a shorty bed. They are a fantastic choice for small spaces, because they leave more space in the room for play area or for another furniture piece (for example a desk or chest of drawers). Let’s look at the pros and cons in more detail.
- A shorty bed frame is an excellent choice for kids and teenagers, because they don’t take that much space.
- If you live in a small space, a shorter bed frame will allow you to make the most of it. You can also make your room feel more spacious if you have a shorter bed frame.
- Small children benefit from greater safety, since in most cases they are also lower to the ground.
- There is less choice when it comes to the design and style of shorty beds, because not a lot of companies manufacture them.
- You will need special size sheets and mattress that will fit.
- You may need to replace the shorty bed once your child outgrows it, and it becomes too small. This will mean buying a new bed frame and mattress.
Can an Adult Sleep in a Shorty Bed?
A short bed may be slept on by an adult, as long as the height of the person is less than 5’3″ or 160cm approximately. Make sure you double check the length of the bed frame. Depending on the height of the adult, there should be enough leg room and the person’s feet should not stick out of the mattress.
Also, make sure you double check if the manufacturer has specified a weight limit, which the bed can hold. Otherwise it may not be safe to sleep on it, and it may break down over time.
What is a Shorty Bunk Bed?
A shorty bunk bed has a smaller size when compared to a standard single size bunk bed. It fits a mattress with size: 75cm x 175cm (2’6″ x 5’9″).
It follows the same safety guidelines as any other type of bunk bed, just the length and width are more compact. This makes it perfect for smaller bedrooms.
Also, keep in mind that the child sleeping on the top bunk should be at least 6 years or older, due to safety reasons.
Short beds are a great choice for smaller spaces. They are also a good option if you want to create a minimalist bedroom look. It is important to note that these beds are generally designed for smaller children and teens, so they may be too low and too short for an adult.