British Bed Company Mattress Reviews & Buyers Guide
The British Bed Company is a family-run business based in Norwich in the UK. They pride themselves on utilising the highest-quality, locally sourced materials to manufacture their products.
They are widely respected as UK’s high quality producers of bedroom furniture. Their hand-made products are sought-after, because of their durability, quality and affordable price.
In addition to furniture, The British Bed Company is also responsible for crafting bespoke mattresses that are very popular with their clients.
How are The British Bed Company Mattresses Made?
All of their mattress products can be made to measure and are manufactured in strict accordance with source five or seven fire regulations. The company has a long-established tradition of being compliant with industry-standard regulations while only using the finest quality materials that have been sourced in the UK.
The British Bed Company is very strict with its suppliers, and they scrutinise all of the materials that end up being used in their finished products.
They are so meticulous with quality control and ensuring that their materials are ethically and responsibly sourced. They can control the quality of the end-product much more consistently, which is why the mattresses and other furniture produced by the British Bed Company is so often of an exceptional standard.
Top 5 British Bed Company Mattresses
There are a total of 13 mattresses made by the British Bed Company. Below you can see the top 5 according to customer reviews. You can compare them by number of pocket springs (1000-2000) and mattress fillings inside (cotton, polyester, wool, cashmere, etc.).
1. British Bed Company Anniversary Pocket Ortho Pocket Sprung Mattress
This is the company’s most popular mattress, measuring 23cm in depth. It is rated “medium-firm”.
- On top there is a thick layer of high-loft polyester, creating a comfortable sleeping surface. The fillings are 100% hypoallergenic, so this is a good option for allergy sufferers.
- There is also a layer of 1000 individual pocket springs, which provide the right body support and contour to your body shape.
- The mattress has a Maximasoft cover and a six-gauge rod edge, which gives very good side support and prevents sagging.
Review: 419 customers gave 4.7/5 star rating
Price: from £245.65 (reg. £289)
2. British Bed Company Hotel Rest Deluxe Pocket Sprung Mattress
The British Bed Company Hotel Rest Deluxe Pocket Sprung Mattress is the second most popular according to customers. It is 26cm deep and is rated as “firm”.
- The mattress is filled with natural cotton and wool, which have the dual benefits of regulating body temperature and providing insulation.
- There are 1000 pocket springs, which allow the mattress to mould perfectly around your body. The springs have been designed in such a way to ensure they move individually, which means you won’t feel your partner moving during the night.
Helpfully, the mattress comes equipped with air vents and handles, making transporting and rotating it a relatively straightforward process.
Review: 281 customers gave 4.8/5 star rating
Price: from £361.62 (reg. £420)
3. British Bed Company Cotton Pocket 1400 Chenille Pocket Sprung Mattress
This mattress is designed to provide orthopaedic support and measures 26cm deep. It is rated as “medium”.
- Inside there is a layer of natural cotton, iSoft fibers and polyester fillings. They regulate body temperature and wick away extra moisture so you won’t feel hot.
- In the middle there is a layer of 1400 individual pocket springs, which provide an orthopaedic support, helping to alleviate body aches while you sleep.
- This is a hand tufted mattress, with air vents and handles on the side.
Review: 125 customers gave 4.8/5 star rating
Price: from £480.25 (reg. £565)
4. British Bed Company Cotton Pocket 1200 Chenille Pocket Sprung Mattress
British Bed Company Cotton Pocket 1200 Chenille Pocket Sprung Mattress mattress is very similar to the one above.
However it has 1,200 pocket springs instead of 1,400 and it’s slightly less expensive. It’s also 26cm deep and is rated as “medium”.
- On top there is a layer of cotton and polyester fillings, which are soft and comfortable to sleep on.
- In the middle there is a layer of 1,200 pocket springs, which mould and support your body.
- This mattress is hand tufted, it has a knitted cover, air vents and handles on the side.
Review: 125 customers gave 4.8/5 star rating
Price: from £437.75 (reg. £515)
5. British Bed Company The Grand Duke 2023 Pocket Sprung Mattress
The British Bed Company The Grand Duke 2023 Pocket Sprung Mattress is the most luxurious mattress the company makes. It measures 28cm deep and is rated at “firm”.
- It has a luxury silk cover, which is smooth and soft to the touch.
- Inside there are layers of cotton, wool and cashmere, which naturally regulate body temperature, and are soft and comfortable to sleep on.
- The Grand Duke has the highest spring count, at 2000. All of the 2000 pocket springs are individually wrapped in their own pocket, distributing your weight evenly and isolating motion transfer between sleeping partners.
- This is a hand tufted mattress, with air vents on the sides.
Review: 87 customers gave 4.8/5 star rating
Price: from £466.65 (reg. £549)
How to Choose The Right Mattress?
You can choose between 13 mattresses manufactured by The British Bed Company. Their price ranges between £289 – £820, depending on the size and fillings inside.
- First make sure to check the number of pocket springs inside (1,000-2,000). As a rule of thumb, the higher the number of pocket springs, the better support you’ll feel when you sleep.
- Secondly, you should check what materials are used inside. You’ll be able to find a mattress with a layer of polyester, which is a durable man made fibre filling. Also, some have a layer of cotton, wool and even cashmere, which are all natural materials.
- Another thing to look at when choosing a mattress from The British Bed Company, is how firm it is. There are three firmness levels to choose from: “medium”, “medium firm”, and “firm”. Generally heavily weighted people should choose either “medium firm” or “firm” mattress, while average weighted persons should opt for a “medium” or “medium firm” mattress.
Lastly, you should check how deep the mattress is and if it’s one sided or two sided. A one sided mattress means that you can sleep on only one side of it, and you should not turn it upside down, but only rotate side to side it regularly. A double sided mattress, allows you to sleep on both sides of the mattress. You’ll need to turn and rotate it regularly, which will help keep in top condition throughout the years.
Below you can see photos of the British Bed Company mattresses, once they are set up on a bed frame.
About The British Bed Company:
Perhaps the standout feature of British Bed Company mattresses is that a team of master craftspeople expertly manufactures them in their own factory in Norwich, UK. They install every component with meticulous attention to detail.
When they began their operations in 2012, they offered only four mattress variants before extending their range to include multiple mattress types, divans, and unique bespoke beds. As well as selling their products to the general public, they also supply trade clients such as hotels, landlords, and universities.
Today, they produce memory foam, pocket sprung, and hybrid mattresses, which are available in various sizes ranging from a small single all the way through to a super king size. You can even order Emperor sizes and custom sizes.
All British Bed Company mattresses come with 5 year warranty, free and fast delivery. If you place your order by 4pm, you’ll be able to get free next working day delivery.
British Bed Company Mattress Reviews
When looking at The British Bed Company mattress reviews, you’ll notice that all of them have nearly perfect 5 star rating. The ratings are between 4.6-4.9 out of five stars from hundreds of customer reviews.
Almost all customers have been very satisfied with their new mattress, and some have even bought a second or third mattress for another family member in their household.
- Many have commented that their new mattress is very comfortable and they are able to sleep better.
- Some people who suffer from back pain, have said that their aches and pains have almost gone away, after sleeping on their new mattress.
- Others have said that it’s very well made mattress and is good value for the money. They don’t experience any “roll on”, when they sit on the edge, or when their partner moves at night.
- Several customers have ordered a custom size mattress, and they were happy with the ordering process, delivery and mattress that they received.
- A few customers have said that their new mattress was harder than expected, and they are not getting a comfortable night sleep.
- Another complaint has been that the mattress has developed dips on the middle, despite turning and rotating it.
- There have been a handful of people who have said that the edge support is weak, when they sit or sleep on the edge of the mattress.
Make sure you spend some time reading through the reviews, so you can get an idea of it’s a quality mattress and if it’s right for you.
Disclosure – top10mattressinabox.co.uk independently reviews and ranks products, by thoroughly researching them. We may receive a commission when a purchase is made through our links, at no cost to our readers. Prices and ratings mentioned above are accurate as of May 15, 2023.